Re: (erielack) Portage Bridge near Hornell (3)

> Part of the effort of building a 'new' bridge is to straighten out some of
> the existing curvature/S-curves that exist north & south of the existing
> span that affect speed, which would be fixed w/a slightly different, more
> tangent alignment...

Who cares if the curves are speedier if the tresspasser problem
prohibits speeds above the original
25-30 mph level anyway?   Thats why I said a new alignment just for the
sake of one doesnt buy
them much.

> If the old bridge were to be torn down and a new one installed on the
> existing alignment, this would obviously close the line for several months,
> as removal of the old super-structure will take several months, followed by
> several months of  installation of new sub-structure

Not true.  Other bridges of that magnitude have been totally replaced
under traffic using small work windows.