Re: (erielack) Eastern Ohio & the EL

Ah ok. What I was wondering was even if it were possible on the kent and mahoning divisions. Underwood did a lot of improvements and this sounds like a more reasonable idea then building a whole new line.

Latest issue of EHLS magazine is about the akron area.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Mike Spinelli<mailto:sms158_@_uakron.edu>
  To: EL Mail List<mailto:erielack_@_lists.railfan.net>
  Sent: Sunday, August 17, 2008 12:20 AM
  Subject: Re: (erielack) Eastern Ohio & the EL

  Hello,

  Where is this article? That might have some tidbits I could use in
  putting together the Akron tour...

  Converting to standard gauge took all of the improvement money they
  had, and the Erie never seemed to have the money to do grade
  elimination, at least this far west.

  The grades through Akron are not very steep, and certainly not long,
  compared to the rest of the Kent (and Mahoning) Divisions. Considering
  the long 5 + mile long 1%+ grades on other parts of the Kent and
  Mahoning Divisions, they were mild. Roller coaster-like, but not as
  steep.

  Now, adding in track curvature in places, that made it worse.

  You had three major railroads all parallel through the city. On either
  side there were dozens of industrial sidings, yards, cuts, and the city
  built right up to the tracks. Streets crossed at a bunch of grade
  crossings and overhead bridges. There wasn't much room to work. And
  lots of connections to consider.

  Finding a better route through the city, that would be tough. Or even
  going around the city, the continental divide runs through northern
  Ohio. Unless you build along Lake Erie (like the LS&MS and NKP), you're
  battling grades. The PRR mainline (about 25 miles south of Akron) is
  still a helper district today.

  Going west, the Erie did choose to climb up to Wadsworth where there
  were salt and coal mines, while the B&O built a more level route
  through Easton. Their route ran through a swamp and it took years to
  get a good footing and keep the rails from sinking into the muck. Going
  east the Erie had a climb into Tallmadge, but nothing like the grade
  between their arc'ing Akron Yard to Cuyahoga Falls.

  The grades through Akron were a headache, and still are to some degree.
  Looking at them I don't think there was much anybody could do with them
  though.

  Mike Spinelli

  Quoting Bradley Butcher <llyengalyn_@_hotmail.com<mailto:llyengalyn@hotmail.com>>:

  > I was thinking about the article on Akron and the area. And how it
  > talked about the razorback of grades in the area. My question is
  > about those grades, was/is it not possible to flatten those grades
  > out without relocating the line? Lots of fills, cuts and tunnels? I
  > would think there would be ways to make it better without relocating
  > completely out of the area like some of the "could have beens" that
  > were talked about at the end of the article.
  >
  > Brad Butcher
  > ELHS 3900
  >
  > The Erie Lackawanna Mailing List
  > http://EL-List.railfan.net/<http://el-list.railfan.net/>