Re: (erielack) Portage Bridge in Letchworth State Park

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008, Joseph A. Braun wrote:

> NOTE: This message had contained at least one image attachment.
> To view or download the image(s), click on or cut and paste the
> following URL into your web browser:
>

> http://lists.railfan.net/listthumb.cgi?erielack-08-16-08
>
> PortageBridge1_2007.jpg (application/octet-stream, 368x550 119700 bytes, BF: 1.69 ppb)
> PortageBridge2_2007.jpg (application/octet-stream, 368x550 123959 bytes, BF: 1.63 ppb)
> PortageBridge3_2007.jpg (application/octet-stream, 550x368 131662 bytes, BF: 1.54 ppb)
> PortageBridge4_2007.jpg (application/octet-stream, 368x550 106900 bytes, BF: 1.89 ppb)
>
> Here are four shots my son, also a Joe Braun, took just last year.  The
> bridge sits in a gorgeous setting, with Letchworth being dubbed the "Grand
> Canyon of the East". #3 was taken on top of the bridge with a fisheye. There
> is also a vertical panorama from the top that you can scroll to view (third
> photo down):
>
> http://www.citrusmilo.com/fingerlakes/iloveny5.cfm

I threw my dad's ashes off this bridge 11 years ago. Conrail obliged with a
westbound just after and scared most of our little party off the bridge. The
train wasn't even doing 10 mph, it was more like walking speed so I rode the
last car off of the bridge. Yeah I know, bad me. I like to think that the the
RR gods paid tribute to dad's love of trains with the perfect timing of that
train on an ex-EL line that didn't have much traffic on it.

Dad did love that area and took me there several times to poke around the
railroads (the abandoned PRR branch to Rochester went under the bridge) and
the canal over the years. He knew exactly how to get to all the interesting
places. I still can't believe he's been gone for 11 years now.

Henry

J. Henry Priebe Jr.    Blue Moon Internet Corp Network Administrator
www.bluemoon.net       Internet Access & Web Hosting
www.railfan.net        Railfan Network Services