Re: (erielack) Re: CNJ Interchange

Well, I guess this falls under the category of "widely held misconception";
in this case it includes experts in the field. Traditionally, among PRR's
hottest freights (apart from TrucTrains) were Chicago-Greenville symbols
CG-2 and CG-8, which protected New Haven traffic. For the record, Flexivans
handling mail were routed via Penn Station and Hells Gate during the PC
years. The subject of LIRR traffic was never raised in connection with
interchange at Bay Ridge, although as I understand it, the line between
there and Fresh Pond was jointly owned by NYNH&H and LIRR.

Paul B

Nelligan is incorrect. I don't think you'll even find tariffs that would
allow sucgh a move, even if a shpper attempted to route that way.

As I wrote earlier, this was always the despair of regional planners,
because even most NH-LIRR freight went from Port Morris to LIC via float;
some NH-NYC traffic even went 60th St to Port Morris with a track connection
in the Bronx.

Now I've been at this business long enough to know that someone can cite an
exception -- but this was simply not an interchange gateway, Even the PRR
floated LIRR traffic from Greenville to LIC. The LIRR did no interchange for
its own account at Bay Ridge.

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie
ELHS #1296