Re:Re: (erielack) Re: CNJ Interchange

There is, of course, another land link to Hell Gate -- the former New Haven through the Bronx.  I mean -- that's why the bridge is there.

I suspect the confusion arises from forgetting that the reason for the Hell Gate Bridge was to provide a gateway for the PRR to New England for passenger, via Penn Station, NY, AND FREIGHT -- via Greenville, NJ (float) Bay Ridge/Brooklyn, NY.  Any service to Long Island itself provided by Hell Gate was purely secondary and way far down the list of priorities.  The PRR-NH interchange between the South and New England over Hell Gate consisted of many, many, many through-routed cars for many years.

Penn Central slowly but inevitably replaced it with the West Shore, which now includes the lower end of the Erie's former Northern Railroad of New Jersey as its crucial link.  (HAH! LIST CONTENT!)

Randy Brown
Brad asks:

>Ok well then this begs the question. If there was a physical connection to the LI and NH at Hells gate bridge, why was anything >floated at all? It just seems dumb, if you have a land line way to get there everything should use it.

If the PRR opened up either gateway to themselves, then everyone would want to use it <g>.

The PRR say a competitive advantage in their Hell Gate investment. . .

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie
ELHS #1296