(erielack) FYI

Metro-North plans Moodna Viaduct work

_Print_ (http://www.trains.com/trn/print.aspx?c=a&id=3817)  |  _Email_
(http://www.trains.com/trn/email.aspx?aid=3817)  |  _Contact Us_
(http://www.trains.com/trn/dynamic/contactus/)

August 11, 2008

CORNWALL, N.Y. -Prospective contractors toured  the Moodna Viaduct in advance
of $21 million of work that commuter agency MTA  Metro-North Railroad plans
for the bridge starting this fall, the Middletown  (N.Y.) Times Herald-Record
has reported. Bids for the work are due on Aug.  21.

The Erie Railroad built the Moodna Viaduct a century ago; it opened  in 1909
as part of a low-grade freight route for freight between northern New  Jersey
and Binghamton, N.Y. At its highest point, the 3,200-foot-long viaduct  stands
193 feet above the valley below, carrying Metro-North's Port Jervis Line
through the Schunemunk Mountains. Currently it hosts 25 commuter trains a day,
plus some Norfolk Southern local freights. NS owns the line, but leases it to
Metro-North, whose trains run between Port Jervis, N.Y., and Hoboken Terminal
in  New Jersey.

The work that Metro-North considers "priority repairs" will  be conducted
this fall at a cost of several million dollars. The rest will occur  as part of
the railroad's capital plan starting in 2010. Repairs slated for this  fall
include fixing deteriorating concrete piers, expansion joints, column  anchor
rods, girder connections, gusset plates, and bolts. None of this work  will
affect rush-hour train service.

The agency has already replaced 44  miles of track and 81,000 ties on the
Port Jervis line, in addition to upgrading  signals and repairing some bridges.

"We think we've made the ride more  comfortable and more reliable, and we're
not done yet," said M-N spokeswoman  Marjorie Anders.

Read reviews on AOL Autos.