Re: (erielack) Former EL Cities on This Sad List

NJRick,

The Youngstown Vindicator mentioned that the mayor wasn't very impressed by
the Forbes article. Being that no one from Forbes even came to town he said
that  Forbes, in no way, without actually being here, could really know what's
going  on.

One thing we have is that we are the nation's leader in polymers. Many of
the injection molding businesses get 100 ton covered hoppers loaded with plastic
 compound (pellets) and feed this material directly into the molds. There are
a  couple of these plants on EL tracks in Warren. The University of Akron is
well  know for it's research with polymers.

Youngstown has a business incubator downtown. One of the companies that  once
occupied it is called Turning Technologies. It has grown very rapidly and
now is in a building of it's own. There has been an attempt to make the area
between Cleveland, Youngstown, and Pittsburgh a technology belt. Warren is also
talking about a business incubator.

The president of the local Chamber of Commerce has made some really stupid
comments about the area. That doesn't help us at all. One thing he mentioned is
 that only 16% of the population has a bachelors degree and therefore, new
business and industry doesn't want to locate here. What a crock! Like I said
before there are at least 17 colleges and universities within a 60 mile radius.
 That's enough graduates to supply ANY company with trained personnel.

Our problem is that our graduates have to leave the area to find work!

I guess Forbes works like many corporations that manage by the numbers and
don't ever get out on to the shop floor to see how those numbers are made.

Rick Fleischer
Cortland, OH.

Read reviews on AOL Autos.