From: "J. Henry Priebe Jr." <root_@_bluemoon.net>
To: "EL Mail List" <erielack_@_lists.railfan.net>
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 3:16 PM
Subject: RE: (erielack) Former EL Cities on This Sad List

(http://www.forbes.com/business/2008/08/04/economy-ohio-michigan-biz_cx_jz_0
> 805dying.html)
>

> Wow, this is astonishing! Scranton is on there, too?  Of that large list,
> only Springfield, MA, Flint and Detroit, MI, and Charleston, WV were NOT
on
> the EL! YIKES!

That list is a bunch of Hooey!

Mark Twain supposedly once said that "There are lies, damned lies and
statistics." That piece was obviously based on statistics. 5.7% unemployment
was cited for Buffalo, well guess what? 5.7% has been reported as the
national
average on several recent newscasts and taht is actually a relatively low
level by historical comparison. Last fall it was 5.5% in Buffalo and part of
the difference can be attributed to high school and college graduates who
have
not yet found employment.

The economy in general is lousy right as can be shown by the low rail
traffic
levels. I have a couple of customers who work for CSX and I always make a
point of asking them how the rail traffic is holding up as that is an
excellent early indicator of coming economic conditions.

The EL served the rust belt, it's no surprise that most of the cities that
the
financial type rags like to pick on are in that group.

Henry

J. Henry Priebe Jr.    Blue Moon Internet Corp Network Administrator
www.bluemoon.net       Internet Access & Web Hosting
www.railfan.net        Railfan Network Services

- --
Checked by AVG.