RE: CNJ Interchange; was: RE: (erielack) GL/Boonton, Lincoln Park Siding

>The professional RRers on the List can correct me if I'm wrong, but I
>believe most RR's maintained lists of preferred or "standard" routings.

And in some cases there were incentives to maintain certain interchanges through preferred rates. The O&Ws LV and DL&W interchange on Scranton-Maybrook traffic had a historic incentive on divisions from the New Haven, for example.

Going back earlier, most of the NYS&W tarriffs prior to 1939 made rates via the Hillside Jct Gateway, but the Erie hauled the freight to Croxton and then it went west. It appears the NYS&W only received a division as if it were interchanged at Passaic Jct (even if it was physically interchanged at Croxton); as far as I can tell, only lumber for the dealer at Pocono Pines was physically interchanged at Hillside.

Another exception was on anthracite after the WB&E abandonment, when shipments to consignees between Oak Ridge (Frederick's) and Stroudsburg (Peoples Coal) paid rates as if the WB&E was still in operation, so a carload of anthracite interchanged at Passaic Jct or Croxton would be shipped at a considerably lower rate to Stroudsburg than, say, to Hackensack -- even though it passed through Hackensack on the way.

For the mavens of such, many of these deals also involved getting an exception from the Long and Short Haul clause and if there was any opposition (say, from a competing carrier, or after 1935, from a trucker)are detailed in ICC reports.

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie
ELHS #1296