Re:Re: (erielack) GL/Boonton Trains on Great Notch Hill

I know, I know -- as soon as I sent it, I saw the map in my mind's eye.  My mind is small; I'm myopic; and I still think of it as the Normal School.  And I know where Manhattan Transfer WAS; I was commenting on where I think it SHOULD BE.  I mean, why not?  Or does the Glenn Miller estate have the name protected?

But I do think it's a marvelous advance in commuter capability for Bruce to be able to plan as he has.  At last we are beginning to think as the British (and Europeans -- see below) do and offer rail service to lots of places at lots of times.  I'm always embarrased when they come over here and I have to tell them what's what.

The difference:  They think 200 miles is a long way; we think 200 years is a long time.

(From above -- headline in a London newspaper: " Storms rage in Channel; Europe cut off!"

Randy Brown
NO, you only need to change at Secaucus (watch the spelling) to use the Main, Bergen County and Pascack Valley lines toward Suffern, Port Jervis, or Spring Valley (or backtrack to Hoboken).  The Boonton line uses the Montclair Branch; there is through service between Penn Station and Montclair State University.  Most Boonton Line trains run to or from Hoboken.

Manhattan Transfer was in Harrison, many miles from Secaucus.  Susquehanna Transfer was closer, but that line doesn't connect here...

I've given Bruce more details and discussion off-list...

Gary R. Kazin
DL&W Milepost R35.7
Rockaway, New Jersey