RE: (erielack) EL/NJDOT U34CH Red Noselights

Paul,

     I look forward to reading the article.  Thanks for the info.

  Matt

"Tupaczewski, Paul R (Paul)" <paultup_@_alcatel-lucent.com> wrote:
  > I have a HO Scale EL/NJDOT U34CH and want to model the Red
> Nose Light. Has anybody modeled this? If so how and what
> did you use.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt F.

Matt,

I will be working on an article for "From The Workbench" on how to model
an EL U34CH. There really is no correct part for the red nose light,
but I cut a square hole out of the nose, then built a styrene "L" shape
(inverted) to fit into the hole. I cut a thin slice of the appropriate
diameter styrene rod for the chromed ring around the light, then
countersink a hole for an MV Products lens.

Of course, there's a lot to be corrected on those U34CH's, including
correcting the sideframes, adding angled HEP connectors, fixing the
horn, removing the NBW castings on the nose, removing the large intakes
behind the cab, etc. etc.

I stripped all my U34CHs since I'll be repainting them with the correct
lettering, too (Prime Mover Decals set PMD-010 - nothing like a little
self-promotion :)

- - Paul