Re: Re: Cool photos (WAS RE: (erielack) Boonton Line animation)

From: Scott Lupia <wpdj61_@_optonline.net>
Date: 2008/07/31 Thu AM 08:28:20 CDT
To: EL Mail List <erielack_@_lists.railfan.net>
Subject: Re: Cool photos (WAS RE: (erielack) Boonton Line animation)

> Yes, I believe it's 40 mph for NJT.  There's also a lot of exposure to
> crosswinds which can cause cars to rock and possibly derail.
>
> Gary R. Kazin
> DL&W Milepost R35.7
> Rockaway, New Jersey

NJ Transit has a 35 MPH speed restriction due to the curvature of the track
on the bridge.  Crosswinds have nothing to do with it.  Every train I have
run over the bridge has never been affected by a crosswind.

Scott

Another factor in the speed restriction is the design of the bridge. Due to the degree of curvature there is considerable latteral force exerted on the bridge by the train. Until recently the speed was only 30 MPH.

Al Holleuffer

Al Holleuffer