Re: Question for Henry [wasRe: (erielack) EL GM Auto Parts]

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 Janet & Randy Brown emailed:

> Henry -- I've noticed that quite a few postings have question marks (?) at
> the end of each sentence. Is that a glitch in one system or another or just
> evidence of uncertainty on the part of the poster?
>
> Randy Brown
> If the Mansfield Fisher Body Plant was stamping parts for Lordstown, there
> sure wasn't any rush on it.? I don't remember that we ever picked up that
> many Mansfields at Harding plus the operation of 92 (until they started the
> Akron Turn operation in 1974) was so haphazard one could not trust an auto
> parts operation to it.? I am not going to say there wasn't any time when
> Fisher Body Mansfield was stamping parts for Lordstown, but I don' think
> much of it was going by rail.? With the short distance, they might have been
> trucking it.? Do you know?if Lordstown was sourcing parts out of Fisher Body
> Mansfield?
>

> Keith

Randy,

Sorry for the deley in replying, busy day yesterday. In the case of Keith's
message above, it appears to be related to something with the way that "AOL
Webmail" handles the plain text part of multipart/alternative emails. In the
HTML part of that listmail there are " " where those "?" are. " " is
a "Non-Breaking SPace" character in HTML, which is used to insert whitespace
into text because in HTML multiple contiguous "space" characters and line
breaks (linefeed character) are translated into a single space between visible
characters.

Basically, it appears to be an AOL bug in their webmail that is failing to
convert each " " directly into a space character, resulting in the
numerous ? characters for "This software is too stupid to know what character
should be put here."

You had it right, it's a glitch on AOL's part.

Henry

J. Henry Priebe Jr.    Blue Moon Internet Corp Network Administrator
www.bluemoon.net       Internet Access & Web Hosting
www.railfan.net        Railfan Network Services