Re: (erielack) 2 bay Covered Hoppers Details

Mike,

Freight cars always have just one cut lever per coupler, on the right side (from the car's perspective). This arrangement ensures there is always a cut lever on either side of a cut location. Acc to the Walthers online catalog, the 6215 is the "standard type" of freight car lift bar, but I cannot find a photo of it. It is appropriate for cars like the 2-bay hoppers with non-cushioned draft gear boxes, but to ensure the correct appearance, get some wire and bend your own as Brian Carlson suggests. The Athearn car has the tab at the end of the carbody for attaching the lever. The "trombone style" is for cars with end-of-car cushioning. Acc to the Color Guide photo the air hose is attached to the left side of the draft gear box near the lower edge, and the flexible portion comes off right at the end.

While we're on the Color Guide, pg 54 has photos of the Greenville-built (1939) mill gons. They have an odd-looking truck with a pair of molded # marks on the lower beam and unusual journal box covers. What are these called, and why do they appear on these cars instead of more conventional Bettendorf trucks?

Paul B

Listers, The local model RR club is having a contest night next month. I
would like to enter a couple of cars. I know that I will do up one of
the newer Athearn 2 bay covered hoppers.
First Question In looking around I do not see any pictures online of
the end details. Where does the cut lever connect to the coupler?
Someone said it just hangs on a model, does not seem too stable.
Second Question Is there only one cut lever on each end on the left side?
Third Question Does it matter the exact spot that the air hose is
attached to the end? I was thinking that 1/3 of the way to the outside
edge would be good.
Fourth Question I know about the trombone style and the Hook like
style DA #6215 style. Are there others out there?

Next Subject  Is the Caboose in Meadville an original EL caboose. I
would like to model one for the Contest Night Also.

Thanks
Mike Dickinson