Re: (erielack) Meet in Marion (2)

After several weeks of below normal temperatures (including rain and snow
last weekend), bright sunshine, blue skies and warm temperatures greeted
members at the gathering of the 2007 ELHS Western Region Meeting in Marion
on Saturday, April 21.

It was an unusually busy day at Marion trackside, with CSX and NS providing
nearly non-stop action most of the day (and well into the night as we
listened to trains roll by while watching slides).  The Marion Union Station
Association, as well as the Marion Model Railroad Club opened up their doors
for a great day for the ELHS

Several presentations were provided, including member and legendary EL
photographer Joe Slanser who showed great views of Erie and EL operations on
the Mahoning & Marion Divisions, including Dayton Branch trains and various
views in Marion Yard in the 1960's & 1970's.

Rich Behrendt showed shots of stations and stuructures of NY and Scranton
Divisions from the mid-70's through the late-1980's, and including an
improptu look westward into PA and OH.

Member George Detwiller (who is also a member of the Marion Union Station
Association (MUSA)) showed views of track, stations and towers along the
Marion Division from Huntington east to Marion, including shots on the
Dayton Branch and inside the Marion Shop.
Joe Slanser rounded out the evening by showing some of his more 'classic'
shots taken in his early days of photography, showing passenger trains on
the C&O and PRR operations that once ran through Marion before the line was
sold to the N&W in 1964.

The day ended just after midnight, but overall, a great day was enjoyed by
all that came, and our thanks to the Marion Union Station Association for
opening up the station and AC Tower for us to enjoy.  Thanks also to the
Marion Model Railroad Club for inviting us in to see their HO-scale layout
in operation...

Besides AC Tower (which looks as it did when it was closed in 1995 complete
with working levers & model board), MUSA has also acquired several model
boards from area towers, and has several different types of signals that
have been restored and restored to working condition by changing aspects by
use of tower levers - gives you a feel for what it used to be like working
as a towerman.

If you're in the area, it's worth a stop..

Rich Behrendt
ELHS #384