Re: (erielack) Buffalo 1900

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007, Dale Madison wrote:

> And you allude to having seen pictures of many of the stations, save Colvin
> and International Junction.  Were they ever pictured in the Diamond?  Or on
> the web?
>
> Many thanks again.
>
> Dale

Dale,

Go to http://memory.loc.gov/ and in the upper right hand corner Search box put
in "Buffalo Erie Railway Station" without the quote marks and click Search and
the first four hits should be links to:

1. Erie Railway, East Buffalo Station, Buffalo, Erie County, NY Built in
America
2. Erie Railway, Walden Avenue Station, Walden Avenue, Buffalo, Erie County,
NY Built in America
3. Erie Railway, Main Street Station, Main Street, Buffalo, Erie County, NY
Built in America
4. Erie Railway, Kensington Avenue Station, Kensington Avenue, Buffalo, Erie
County, NY Built in America

The Syracuse University Erie Railroad Glass Plate negative collection also has
plates of those four Buffalo stations online as well as many other Buffalo
area depots. Go to
http://library.syr.edu/information/spcollections/digital/erierr/ and put
BUFFALO in the "Keyword Anywhere" search box. It comes up with 81 hits so you
have to go through several pages of results.

I have never seen photos of Colvin or International Jct stations either. I
don't even have them on any of my Sanborn maps. In addition to the
Colvin/Villa Park  station, an 1887 map of Buffalo shows stations at Delaware
Ave, Delavan Ave and Genessee St. It also shows "International Junc." but not
as a station stop. My 1894 Buffalo Atlas shows Colvin Station, but not
Delaware and International Jct is once again marked, but not as a station.
Main St, Kensington, [East] Delavan and Walden are shown, but nothing for
Genesee St. On all my pre-1900 maps I don't even see a street anywhere near
the tracks on the Erie side of International Jct and I haven't seen any
evidence that there was in fact a real station there. It's less than a half
mile away from Main St Station so it's not like a station was needed that
badly at that location.

So, exactly how many stations did the Erie have between East Buffalo and Black
Rock at one time and when did each disappear? I count the following from
various maps:

Delaware Ave
Colvin
International Jct (was this in fact a real Erie station with a building?)
Main St
Kensington Ave
East Delavan Ave
Walden Ave
Genesee St

The pre-1900 maps also label the Black Rock branch as "West Shore RR" in
addition to "New York, Lake Erie & Western" from "East Buffalo Jc" (West
Shore crossing just south [TT E?] of Walden) to Black Rock. I have never read
anything about the West having ownership of or using trackage rights over the
Erie to Black Rock, but it would have been a fairly short lived arrangement.
Didn't WS parent PRR use the DL&W to get to Black Rock, at least in later
years? Lots of questions revolving around the Black Rock branch in the 19th
century...

Interestingly, the somewhat parallel NYC's Belt Line passenger service lasted
to around 1920.

Henry

J. Henry Priebe Jr.    Blue Moon Internet Corp Network Administrator
www.bluemoon.net       Internet Access & Web Hosting
www.railfan.net        Railfan Network Services