(erielack) DL&W 4 track / 2 track

Hi folks,

Here's a thought I had that was spurred by the four-track "telltale pole"
discussion from earlier today:

The DL&W Boonton Line had four tracks between Denville and Lincoln Park, and
then two tracks from LP east to Secaucus. My question is: WHY? Would that
have made Lincoln Park a big bottleneck on this, the DL&W's primary freight
route? Was there a lot of local traffic between Denville and Lincoln Park
that would have warranted the extra tracks? Or perhaps larger grades,
requiring extra tracks for hotshots to bypass slower drags?

Just wondering,