Re: (erielack) What is it?

In a message dated 4/19/2007 12:46:11 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
paultup_@_comcast.net writes:

http://lists.railfan.net/listthumb.cgi?erielack-04-19-07

DSC_8531_resize.jpg  (image/jpeg, 1053x700 231279 bytes, BF: 3.19 ppb)
DSC_8532_resize.jpg  (image/jpeg, 700x1053 182155 bytes, BF: 4.05 ppb)

While waiting for an  NJT train to photograph in my hometown of Boonton
yesterday after work, I  stumbled upon something I never noticed in my 20
years of trainwatching at  this location (see attached "DSC_8531") - it's a
shorn-off steel pipe  embedded in concrete on the side of the right-of-way.
My first thought is  that this was a water stand for steam locomotives, but
it's an awfully  small pipe for that. DSC_8532 shows where the pipe is in
relation to the  right-of-way - this view looks east along the former 4-track
DL&W main.  The pipe is at the bottom of the image.

Any  thoughts?

Paul

Try to find one on the opposite side of the tracks.   If  so,  the poles that
held the overhead
dangling wires that use to be before every over head bridge to warn guys
riding the tops
of box cars that a bridge or low clearance  was coming up.

Bob