RE: (erielack) yellow diamonds

> Erie put yellow diamond heralds on freight cars for a few
> years in the mid '40s.
>
>   Anyone remember them? There's a picture of one in one of
> the color photo books for another railroad. Several of the
> B&W photos in Culotta-Kline freight car book apparently show
> them too (the herald is slightly darker than the lettering on
> recently painted cars).

I thought only one small batch of 40' boxcars had the small yellow
diamonds (with black center) but they were relatively short-lived and
replaced with a white diamond. Not sure why the switch was made to a
white diamond - maybe one less paint color to use per car?

>   On freight car red cars (box cars) did the diamond have a
> black background?

In most photos that's what it appears to have been.