Subject: RE: (erielack) team tracks without platforms

>From: "Tupaczewski, Paul R
>Since we're discussing team tracks, can anyone give examples of stuff
on
>the DL&W/Erie/EL that was unloaded from (or perhaps LOADED onto)
freight
>cars on team tracks - and where? I've mentioned my uncle-in-law's home
>(!) in Dover and fusee-making material in Boonton, but does anyone know
>of any other specific things?

Some railroads encouraged the employees to talk up the road as this
might
generate new/more traffic. Locals touring the R&GVRR museum have told of
the agents at Avon and Oatka(Industry)calling farmers during the season
to see if they might be shipping hay or grain. The agent could then
check
empty car availability and schedule its arrival.

My uncle shipped excess hay every year from Leroy,via Erie,NYC,LV or
B&O.
If there was a shortage of cars the hay went out on the line that
produced
the first good(no holes,clean)car. He said almost every time the hay was
bound for NJ or Conn. The agents he dealt with the most were the Erie &
LV.

The Erie agent was on top of his game and followed the weather
conditions
esp in NJ. In a good year NJ could meet all their hay needs,but,this did
not happen often. Uncle Dean said, whenever he learned of an impending
shortage, the Erie agent would soon call to consult on a shipment. They
would
pull a wagon load over to Leroy,stopping to weigh it at a feed mill and
then proceed to load it into the car at the team track. He then received
a receipt from the agent and about a month later the check came from
the buyer.

Many times if they could not load a complete car another farmer filled
it up.
He also related that the main reason they started shipping by truck was
the
fact that there was less handling,thus saving time.
During the EL years a mill would buy grain from various farmers and
after a
check for debris,weevils & moisture content they used an auger to load
the
covered hoppers, and,boxcars if there was a shortage.

From a modelers view;
I remember seeing boxcars appearing on team tracks and sitting for
months
before being loaded "during the season". Some had arrived there loaded
and
cardboard,broken plywood & lumber or plastic sheeting was strewn around
the
area or left hanging from the door.

Was the consignee supposed to pickup the waste from the car and
ground ??

Were they ever billed for car cleaning ??

lynn