RE: (erielack) Team Tracks & Manpower

>Richard Recordan was making $1.25 and hour freight handling in 1967.  The
>NYC was paying freight handlers $1.55 and hour in 1955.
>On any railroad job, if you work harder than the other guys, they don't
>like it.  It makes them look bad.

Railroad employees were the ones loading and unloading on platforms and ramps too. Guys working for private companies were handing lumber piece by piece out the door with no platform <g>.

In general, a public team track saw cars loaded/unloaded by the shipper/consignee employees; LCL was always handled by railroad employees.

And neither should be confused with Railway Express Agency, where shipments could seem to have characteristics of carload (horse cars come to mind) or LCL (The packages and crates we associate with Railway Express) which might be handled by REA employees, or in smaller towns by Railroad Employees "moonlighting" during working hours -- usually on commission with the permission of their employer.

And REA should not be confused the a railroad's own express operations, handled exclusively by railroad employees, most often used for specialized traffic like milk -- but often used for all manner of other things not needing interchange.

Finally, the Post Office had its Parcel Post -- yet another way of getting a carton from here to there . . .

So -- does anyone have the Railway Express and LCL schemes/schedules for the Erie/DL&W or E-L?

Cheers,
Jim