RE: (erielack) Port Morris November 1963

> Some operational comments concerning P Morris yard. Since it
> appears that it was aligned with the Old Road, a WB freight
> headed for the Cutoff but making a pickup at PM would have
> had to leave its train on the mainline, then head into the
> yard. Perhaps there were a couple of tracks further east
> where the yard switcher could pull the cut out of the yard
> and leave it for the through train. Which was it?

I can't answer this question (before my time), but I'll observe here
that there was that "third track" that ran parallel to the Cut-Off in
front of the tower for quite a ways - could this have been a location
for yard crews to place westbound cars for Cut-Off trains?

> This
> inconvenient alignment may explain why the yard was mostly
> abandoned in favor of Dover.

Possibly (though the DL&W seemed to be able to work with this
arrangement for at least 60 years), but what really killed Port Morris
was two things, primarily: The L&HR interchange location changing to
Greycourt, and the abandonment of the Old Road as a through route.

East Dover didn't become a major freight set-out/pick-up point until the
early 1970s when the two-track East Dover Yard was rebuilt (see the
photos in lister Rich Pennisi's book "A Colorful Look at the Erie
Lackawanna")