Re: (erielack) 1963 Notes - early MARC-EL?

Paul,

I gather that you're not much of a fan of conspiracy theories.  Perhaps you
never watched the X-Files or visited the grassy knoll (ironic how close the
MOPAC tracks were to that infamous site).  But just because I'm paranoid
doesn't mean that the B&O didn't run 27 hour TOFC service from Philly to
Chicago in 1963.  According to the B&O pictoral from the Motorbooks series,
the B&O started dedicated Trailer Jet train (or "TOFCEE service", as they
termed it early on) from Jersey City to Chicago in July of 1960.  The
clearance project of the early 60's was mostly on the Parkersburg line to
St. Louis.  And obviously, PRR service from Philly to Chicago was even
faster and probably more reliable. As to the Alphabet Route, I don't think
it ever hosted any primarily TOFC runs; I believe the main fare of the "AJ"
Alpha-Jet trains was autos and parts from the Toledo area (other than that
very brief "Jersey Jet" service around 66 or 67 via the Alpha route --
another failed experiment).  So, an attempt by the EL/RDG/CNJ to compete
with clearly faster and better service on the PRR and B&O really seems like
a left-field move. And it wasn't a "warm-up act" for future RDG TOFC service
via Hagerstown and Connellsville.  Thus, I still think there had to be a
political motive behind it.

As to the CNJ and Reading being such financial millstones: their main
problem was something you alluded to earlier, i.e. ICC rate formulas that
were biased against terminal roads with very short line hauls.  Rate
divisions favored the road-haul / long-haul lines.  The CNJ and RDG
originated and terminated a lot of freight traffic, and the B&O benefited
the most from it, with perhaps the NKP / Alphabet Route coming in second.
The EL got maybe one or two trains a day from the CNJ, and maybe enough for
one train from the Reading between Newberry and Rupert. Compare that with
the 4 or 5 trains each way that the B&O was running between East Side and
Communipaw up thru the late 60's; and the 3 or 4 trains going to and from
the WM daily at Hagerstown.  Now, if you could have diverted say 60% of that
traffic to the EL in a hypothetical merger, well, Hornell and Meadville
would have started looking more like Altoona and Conway in regard to traffic
density.

In the end, Conrail was able to integrate the CNJ, RDG and LV into a
profitable system.  But admittedly, it took a whole lot of modernization
capital to make that work correctly.  Such capital was provided through
generous government loans and guarantee packages.  It's true that a
hypothetical EL-CNJ-RDG-LV combo in 1964 would not have had good access to
fix-up/pare-down capital; the paybacks would be too slow and unsteady, and
the feds probably weren't ready to step in with guarantees.  So, I will put
forth an alternative conspiracy theory behind the hugely irrational TOFC
train of 1963:

As mentioned already, the RDG and CNJ were negotiating with B&O/C&O at the
time for increased aid, and ultimately merger inclusion.  Ditto between the
EL and the expanding N&W.  The TOFC train service in question might have
been a feign, a threat to Chessie and N&W to take the poor guys seriously or
face the possibility that they might get together on their own, and take
with them those 4 to 6 trains they provided each day to the big systems.
Not too long after 1963, the CNJ got some old engines from the B&O and N&W,
and eventually some SD40s.  I think the RDG got some financing help on new
power.  And the EL eventually got Dereco assistance.  The big systems
eventually did make good on what they sort-of promised the ICC about helping
the poor roads, when their consolidation cases were before it.  But they
clearly dragged their feet.  So, this is another possible way that the
puzzle pieces came together.  But yes, it's all just a guess.

Perhaps a clunky 31 hour TOFC schedule relying on at least two connections,
in competition with one-road, one-train services that were 4 to 7 hours
faster, was pure stupidity; another example of Edsel thinking.  Personally,
I'd like to think not, given that I'm an EL fan still loyal to its memory.
But unless someone who was there at the time comes forward, guesses and
theories are all we have.

Jim Gerofsky