(erielack) Pinning down a date for GMY transition

Folks,

I've been trying to find a more conclusive timeframe for when EL
switched its GMY paint scheme from 7" maroon Roman lettering on the
roadname to 9" yellow Gothic lettering. I recently got an EL PA painting
diagram, which is dated 6/23/61, but has the following useful notation:

"Letterboard relocated. Size of letters increased from 7" to 9" Block
type. Locos 850-859 reclassified FA-20. Date: 3-18-66"

So at least on the PA's, we know when they started to get the "Phase II"
GMY scheme. Interestingly, we also know when most of them were regeared
for freight service now, too. The 860-861 still were PA-20s and 862-863
were PA-22s (and that's why you saw them on all the "farewell to the PA"
fantrips)

Also interesting on the painting diagram - the roof was black, but
didn't extend all the way to the edge - it stopped about 1-1/2 feet
short of the edge on either side, and came to a sharp point above the
cab. All the overhead shots of PA's I've seen show the black roof
extending to the sides, and no point above the cab (just a straight
edge), so maybe shop people took some liberties? After all, who's going
to see the roof?