Re: (erielack) 1963 Notes - early MARC-EL?

Paul,

I'd like to contribute to the archives, but the downloads from the news
database in question come with foreboding copyright notices.  I can say
through fair use doctrine that the article regarding TOFC service from
Philly appeared on page 48 of the May 2, 1963 edition of the NY Times, and
quotes Harry C. Schmidt, EL's VP for Sales at the time.

Paul, you pointed out good reasons why a RDG-CNJ-EL TOFC service from Philly
was a non-starter.  Another reason that comes to mind was the B&O/C&O.
IIRC, by mid-1963, the CNJ and RDG were looking to the B&O/C&O for salvation
(I believe that the Chessie had control of the B&O by then).  Why even try
to steal TOFC revenue from your savior? (I believe that the B&O's
Chessie-funded clearance projects were done by then and that fast TOFC
service out of Philly East Side was thus available from the B&O).  I can't
help but wonder if some people on the RDG and CNJ were a bit suspicious as
to how far the Chessie would go for them.  Perhaps ditto for the EL relative
to the N&W.  The LV had similar false hopes regarding its part in the
upcoming PRR-NYC merger.

I honestly wonder if this little, seemingly irrational (and obviously
unsuccessful) attempt at service coordination reflected a bit of "MARC-EL"
thinking way back in 1963.  Perhaps it was a 'trial balloon' for greater
cooperation.  With 20-20 hindsight, the EL, RDG and CNJ should have pressed
on with an "operation bootstraps" consolidation plan in 1963, especially if
they could have talked the Valley into joining.  Had the D&H also joined by
1970 (they wouldn't have had much choice), and a lot of ruthless
consolidation were done (e.g., no more need for separate backshops in
Hornell, Scranton, Sayre, Reading, Colonie and Elizabethport) I can't help
but wonder if an early MARC-EL might have reached a "tipping point" of
profitability and viability that the EL alone just couldn't (and didn't)
achieve.  Another great "what might have been" (especially since it would
have brought Perry Shoemaker back into the fold! He was the CNJ's leader at
the time).

This little scrap of evidence hints that some people on the relevant lines
(Perry Shoemaker?) might have been thinking this way in 1963, when there
still might have been enough time left to do something.  Perhaps William
White squashed whatever was happening in this regard (he was to come on
board in another month or so).  IIRC, he was very fixated on the N&W as the
EL's ultimate savior (and his protegee, Greg Maxwell, also gave the MARC-EL
concept a pass ten years later on the eve of Conrail).  Perhaps that was
White's one mistake.  And possibly a very big one.  A consolidation like
that would have left the N&W over a barrel regarding the ex-NKP in Buffalo
and the Chessie regarding the Royal Blue Route in Philly (especially if the
D&H were in the mix).

Would the ICC have allowed such a merger in 1964?  My first instinct is to
say no, but then again, perhaps the lines in question could have traded
favors against the hearings for the pending N&W/NKP/Wabash and NYC/PRR
mergers.  We support your mergers, you support ours.  But it was just not
meant to be.

Jim Gerofsky