RE: (erielack) 1963 Notes

I think the lines in Pennsylvania were originally built by Lehigh Coal & Navigation and somehow the Reading gained control of them.  The Reading also controlled CNJ at one time and CNJ assumed the Pennsylvania operations.  This is all very cloudy in my memory right now but it was still an issue that had to be resolved when CNJ pulled out of their Pennsylvanial operations in the early 70s.

Ed Montgomery

________________________________

From: Schuyler Larrabee [mailto:schuyler.larrabee_@_verizon.net]
Sent: Mon 4/2/2007 9:58 PM
To: 'EL Mail List'; 'Jim Gerofsky'
Subject: RE: (erielack) 1963 Notes

> What does "CRP" stand for ("...ran the CRP up to Taylor...")?
>
> Paul B

CRP is the Central Railroad of Pennsylvania.  A separate corporation which owned the NJ Central's
lines in Pennsylvania, which was a fabrication to satisfy legal niceties.  I don't remember the
details of WHY this was done, I just recall that it WAS done.

It seems to me that the WB&E was a similar situation with respect to the NYS&W.

SGL

        http://www.elhts.org <http://www.elhts.org/>