Re: (erielack) DL&W ETT 1956

Ed, you are correct. Projected traffic levels did not justify the expense of building a double-track bridge.

Paul B

I was looking at the 1956 DL&W ETT at:  http://www.jon-n-bevliles.net/RAILROAD/DLW%20ETTs/DL&W-109(med).pdf.  This was about seven months after Hurricane Diane tore up the ROW from the Water Gap up through the Poconos.  I noticed a little change in operation that was a forerunner to many other changes as the fortunes of the DL&W began to crumble.  In the spring of 1956, ABS signals reigned all over the place except for a .8 mile stretch between the Tinkertown crossing and Bells Bridge which was CTC - single track.  DL&W must have replaced that bridge with a single span with no intention of adding a second.  I believe the CTC machine was at Stroudsburg Tower.  Within two years the single tracking would extend across the cut-off and within another two the Boonton Line would be essentially single track from Denville to Paterson.  A second track remained in place from west of Montville but the primary track was reversible.

Ed Montgomery