Re:(erielack) OFF TOPIC QUESTION

In December, 1957, NYC showed mostly commuter operations between West Haverstraw and Weehawken, with an Albany train, and a Kingston one, and a Newburgh service.  The ferries ran to/from 42nd Street, and also to/from Cortlandt Street at commuter train times. Mostly, it was south in the morning and north at night, with a little mid-day Saturday north.  The northbound Albany train ran at 2:50 AM except Sunday, when it left at 9:00 am.  Southbound was 5:20 PM. The ride took 5 or 6 hours.  All else was about a halfdozen commuter runs.

The Northern didn't realize any tremendous surge in traffic when the West Shore quit; they went to Public Service or Rockland Coaches.

Randy Brown

Recently I was reviewing the material in the Historical Railroads of New Jersey site looking at New York Central operations.  Now there is a link, if you stretch it because the West Shore was once part of NYO&M who once merged with the NJM which became NYS&W once owned by Erie.  Anyway, I it was interesting to find that passenger service throughout the day was in effect in 1956.  I can remember my uncle driving up through Undercliff to Wehawkin in the mid 50's and then past the West Shore Terminal.  It was a Saturday, but the terminal looked quite busy with the 42nd Street Ferry running and numerous Public Service buses waiting to pick up passengers.  By 1958 most of the passenger service disappeared with only commuter runs in the morning and evening terminating in Havestraw.  Here's a question about the ferries:  Even though the passenger service was curtailed to mornings and evenings, did the 42nd street boat continue to run throughout the day?
 I have a suspicion that it !
 might have.

NYC got rid of the commuter service by seperating the ferry service from the train tickets.  When the ferry was discontinued. it became extremely difficult to get to New York.  Passenger service ended very quickly.  I suspect that many of the passengers probably went over to the Northern Branch if they wanted to use rail service to get to work.

Any thoughts,

Ed Montgomery