From: Edward.Montgomery_@_fcps.edu
To: erielack_@_lists.elhts.org
Sent: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 12:40 PM
Subject: (erielack) DL&W ETT 1956

I was looking at the 1956 DL&W ETT at:  http://www.jon-n-bevliles.net/RAILROAD/DLW%20ETTs/DL&W-109(med).pdf.
This was about seven months after Hurricane Diane tore up the ROW from the Water
Gap up through the Poconos.  I noticed a little change in operation that was a
forerunner to many other changes as the fortunes of the DL&W began to crumble.
In the spring of 1956, ABS signals reigned all over the place except for a .8
mile stretch between the Tinkertown crossing and Bells Bridge which was CTC -
single track.  DL&W must have replaced that bridge with a single span with no
intention of adding a second.  I believe the CTC machine was at Stroudsburg
Tower.  Within two years the single tracking would extend across the cut-off and
within another two the Boonton Line would be essentially single track from
Denville to Paterson.  A second track remained in place from west of Montville
but the primary track was reversible.

Ed Montgomery