Re: (erielack) FW: RE: John Long Photos

Steve Twarogowski confirmed that the FA photo was in fact taken in Akron, looking TT west from the Exchange St bridge; the Erie passenger station is behind the photographer, and the freight is EB. The freight house on the right seems disproportionately large for a city of this size, and Larry DeYoung in EL in Color comments that in the 1950's, the 14th St facility in Chicago was so overburdened at times, they would send LCL to Akron for sorting. Since the block of cars tied to the FA's appears to be all boxcars, it may in fact include such Chicago cars.

Paul B

I gather the FT shot was taken on the Jefferson Division; Erie used upper-quadrant semaphores but apparently D&H used the lower-quadrant type. Interesting because Erie owned the line prior to the mid-50's but it appears the D&H provided the signals. Can anyone explain?

Reading the email I'm confused as to the location of the photo of FA 737, but it looks like Akron; that's a B&O signal on the left. The FA's are making a pickup or setoff in the yard.

Paul B

To view or download the image(s), click on or cut and paste the
following URL into your web browser:

http://lists.railfan.net/listthumb.cgi?erielack-03-30-07