Re: (erielack) EL to New Castle--was EL around Youngstown(2)

Lee,
You asked:

"Another Youngstown area question that I have for those familiar, if you are
driving west on Interstate 80 and cross the PA line into Ohio, the first
exit in Ohio is Hubbard. Just west of the Hubbard exit the highway crosses
over an area that at one time had a sizable railroad yard. The
last time I drove over it there were only one or two tracks remaining there.
Was this an EL location or yard, and was there any connection there with the
Bessemer and Lake Erie railroad?"

In response, I believe this was originally a NYC yard (Coalberg?), but for
what purpose I'm not exactly sure - it might have been NYC's biggest
facility near Youngstown other than Gateway Yard which was a P&LE facility
(complete w/hump yard/tower).

As you go across Rt.80 and look to the south, the track (the Youngstown
Line) swings off towards the west, and just below that is where the EL
paralleled the NYC into Youngstown (I believe there might have been a
connection here w/the EL that created a wye of sorts on the map).

The B&LE crossed under I-80 at about MP 22 on the PA side before Grove City,
and wasn't anywhere near this location in Hubbard.  The EL and B&LE crossed
each other at Shenango Tower just east of Greenville, about 18-20 miles east
of Hubbard...

Rich Behrendt
ELHS #384