(erielack) steel -was Youngstown

Anyone who wants a really readable book about the US Steel industry
should get Richard Preston's "American Steel", Avon Books, NY, NY 1991.
It's about NUCOR's Crawfordsville IN plant, but also talks about big
steel. For anyone who knows little about steel its a cheap education and
if you do know steel, parts of it are hilarious.  Sorry, not much EL
content...but well worth getting or reading.

On a differnt subject, I met a guy in the Everett Free Library Everett,
PA about 20 years ago. I forget what he had come in for, maybe genealogy
info. But he told me he had been part of  a group that acquired the
plant whistle from Y S&T.  The long bell was something like 10 or 12
feet. They mounted it on a trailer and  set it upo to run off air.   Put
in local parade.  Unfortunately they were in front of  group of store
fronts (kinda like a  row of DPM kit store fronts) when they blew
whistle.  Shattered them all.

He told me he was part of the charging crew. They knew the furnaces were
shutting down but didn't know when.  Just knew when they weren't told to
charge after the last tap that it was over and the plant was going to
Brazil.   The last night they got the word not to recharge .  Somehow
the furnaces got charged anyhow....then the fires were put out.   The
wreckers had to chip out something like 1000 tons of unfinished steel
before they could tear them down.

Frank