(erielack) EL to New Castle--was EL around Youngstown

Walt Smith shared with us that he never had the opportunity to do the
New Castle run from Ferrona, just wondering if there is anyone out there
that did. I grew up in New Castle, and have fond memories of seeing a
GMY RS-3 and red caboose parked next to the station in New Castle. As
far as I know the station is still there, it has been moved about 100
yards north of its' original location due to a road widening project
many years ago. The station is now the home of the local chamber of
commerce or something similar. I'd like to find out just what the
primary commodity or product was that the EL carried to New Castle and
if they interchanged with anyone in New Castle. At that time the B&O,
Pennsylvania (Penn Central) and P&LE all served New Castle in addition
to the EL. I believe that Steve Timko mentioned that the New Castle run
lasted up until Conrail day.

Another Youngstown area question that I have for those familiar, if you
are driving west on Interstate 80 and cross the PA line into Ohio, the
first exit in Ohio is Hubbard. Just west of the Hubbard exit the highway
crosses over an area that at one time had a sizable railroad yard. The
last time I drove over it there were only one or two tracks remaining
there. Was this an EL location or yard, and was there any connection
there with the Bessemer and Lake Erie railroad?

Thanks

Lee Ryglinski
ELHS #1265