RE: (erielack) ELHS collection

Pat McKnight offers a lot of insight on this topic, since it is his area
of expertise.

> Now as for the archives, I was approached a while back by
> members of the group that asked what I thought about getting
> the collection.  The idea of getting the collection in a
> central repository, with other Erie and DL&W archives made
> sense.  I would not oppose Steamtown acquiring such a
> collection, but . . . . . and this seems to be the big BUT,
> any collection turned over to Steamtown would have to have
> all rights of ownership as well.  Any professional archival
> repository or museum has the same basic requirement.  If ELHS
> finds a place that will allow the collection to be accessible
> while retaining ownership, I say more power to them.

Here's one question that I'd like the answer to, seriously - is there s
specific reason the ELHS Board does not want to relinquish control of
the Archives? Heck, a lot of people relinquished control of their
artifacts to put it in the archive. Doesn't the only thing that matters
is that a) the archives are accessible to all and b) the archives are
professionally preserved?

I, for one, would just like to hear the rationale from an ELHS Board rep
as to why they do not want to give up custody of the collection,
especially when the offer from a Government agency (so you know the
long-term security is there - the National Park Service ain't going
anywhere) to do it professionally is out there.

> Again, I talked to individuals in ELHS, and while the
> ownership issue is the main problem, there are folks out
> there that are just opposed to the idea that Steamtown would
> be a good place for them.  Ten years ago, I probably would
> have agreed with them.  I have, however, made some inroads on
> the existing collection, and added to it.  I feel if the
> archives are not intellectually accessible, we should not have them.

I respect that people have other opinions, but I'm curious why people
would be opposed to the idea of Steamtown getting the archives? If there
are folks on this list that have this feeling, could you explain why you
feel that way? (just curious)

This has been a nicely civilized discussion - let's try and keep it that
way. :)  Thanks to all!