RE: (erielack) FW: Former EL SD45-2's spotted in Conway!

That may in fact be what was happening. However unless things have changed recently, the horsepower (and tractive effort) is more important for eastbound trains on this line, not westbound. You would see some awfully heavy westbounds exceeding 100 cars and 6,000 tons with just a pair of SD40-2's. The WB climb was concentrated between Altoona and Gallitzen, and all but the lightest trains got helpers there. However from the Ohio valley to the summit, eastbounds had several grades including the 25 mile stretch of up to 1% heading east from Conemaugh, and only coal trains got helpers.

Paul B

> NJ to Altoona via Conway? I don't think so. They would have
> been setoff at Altoona enroute.

Unless their horsepower was needed to get them to Conway? If you dumped
them at Altoona first, you'd instantly lose 7200 hp for the climb up
around Horseshoe Curve to Gallitin and Cresson. I assumed they'd be
dropping them off on the way back east here.