Re: (erielack) Erie Controlled NYS&W

Just to be really technical, the Erie owned about 98% of the NYS&W's stock.
There were a few holdouts from the J.P. Morgan takeout in 1898.  All of
these stockholders (along with the Erie) had their equity wiped out in the
NYS&W 1937 bankruptcy.  Essentially the bondholders of the NYS&W became the
new stockholders in the 1954 reorganization.

These "holdouts" are not as uncommon as you think.  Until bought out a few
months ago, there was about 4% of the New York & Harlem owned by the
public.  To this day I personally own stock in the Dayton & Michigan
Railroad (CSX owns most of it) and the Mobile & Birmingham (NS owns most of
it - in fact they told me there are only 26 of us "holdouts" left!)

Tim