Re: (erielack) Broad Street Station, Newark NJ

- --- James Kelling <james.kelling_@_nara.gov> wrote:
> Does anyone have an update on the reconstruction of the former EL
> station?  Any photos would be welcome, also.

The east half of the island platform (where track 3 - westbound local
- - used to be) opened late in December 2006, though finishing touches
won't be done until later this year.  It has two enclosed waiting
areas, a ticket vending machine, and space where the elevator will be
installed.  The new platform extends much closer to University St,
but does not cross it.  The west half is progressing well; crews were
pouring concrete for the platform floor last week.  The canopy was
mostly up as well.  It will probably open by the end of March.

The bridges for relocated track 3 are done.  The roadbed on the north
side of the platform is graded, but some backfill near the bridges is
needed and nothing has been done building track.  My guess is at
least six months before track 3 is done.

Work has begun on the inbound platform, with the western end
demolished and forms erected to pour concrete for the south wall of
the high-level platform.

A new entrance stairway is being built to improve access to the
pedestrian underpass; it's on the south side at the east end of the
station building.

The stairways at MLK Boulevard are both closed.  The island platform
will have a stairway on the east side of the street while it looks
like the track 2 (eastbound local) platform will be extended across
the street and the stairs will be on the west side.

Two elevators will be provided for handicapped access, both toward
the east end of the platforms.

I have some photos and will post them later.

Gary R. Kazin
DL&W Milepost R35.7
Rockaway, New Jersey