Re: (erielack) Stock pen re-request - ELHS collection

Dear Pat and All,

That's great news about Tri-State's collection of documents going to
Steamtown.  I think I had just joined Tri-State (mid-1980s) when the
chapter had initially taken possession of the papers.  I think Steamtown in
general, and you, Pat, in particular, have shown great dedication and
expertise in cataloguing--and making available--the collections that have
been donated.  I look forward to hearing more details about what's in the
Tri-State collection.

Which brings me to the status of the ELHS collection...and this is really a
question for the entire list...but if memory serves, the ELHS collection is
presently in Akron and needs to be moved to another location.  Shouldn't
the Society consider Steamtown?  In my opinion, Steamtown is finally coming
in to its own as a first-class repository for historic railroad documents.
Wouldn't it make sense that the "home railroad" have its collection there,
too?

Chuck

             Pat_McKnight_@_nps.
             gov
             02/25/2007 07:03          "EL Mail List"
             PM                        <erielack_@_lists.elhts.org>
                                                                        cc

              "EL Mail List"           Re: (erielack) Stock pen re-request
             <erielack_@_lists.e
                 lhts.org>

Ron,

I did not want to get cuaght up on this discussion thread, but I thought
I'd let you know that Steamtown recently acquired the papers from the Chief
Engineers Office of the DL&W (previously held by Tri-State).  My estimate
is we have about 500 linear feet of flat papers, and about 50,000 rolled
documents.  I am just starting to process them, and am finding quite a bit
on Buffalo . . . and stock pens, and everything else DL&W.  There are also
files from the Chief Engineer of the Erie mixed in (sent to Hoboken after
the merger).  We are making a little headway with the archives, and I am
doing my best to line up volunteers.

Just thought I'd let you know.  I think if you ever make it to Scranton you
will be impressed.

Pat