Re: (erielack) EL around Youngstown

In a message dated 2/25/2007 12:40:10 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
urr304_@_alltel.net writes:

The  original C&MV line into Sharpsville went up an incline east of  Ferrona
Yard area towards Sharpsville and was on a higher level. This line  remained
active into mid-20th Century, I am sure S.Timko has better  information.

I am not sure of status of Ohio Central's Youngstown  & Austinburg operation.
This is on the former Austinburg branch. But I  believe with demise of
Youngstown Steel Door that there isn't any traffic.  I am sure others can
update us on this.

The Lisbon branch from Niles  [Niles & New Lisbon] has been gone a long time
and too bad. If around  more recently, I think an operation such as Ohio
Central would have taken a  chance on supplying rail transport to the Meander
Industrial Park.  Unfortunately, the r.o.w. needed a lot of work, and bridge
over  PRR/PC/CR/NS E&A was removed to clear autoracks.

Thanks Paul------

I believe the original line to Sharpsville became known as the Hill  Track.
It was the method that EL used to access Shenango Incorporated with  hot metal
trains as well as inbound and outbound shipments.  After Conrail,  the Hill
Track was removed and the hot metal trains and inbound sand and scrap  and
outbound ingot moulds used the old E&P line from Sharpsville to a point  where a
connection with the EL's New Castle Branch was built.  This  location was known
as The Pole Connection.  The final construction on the  connection was
delayed for months by the utility company dragging its feet on  the relocation of a
pole.  Thus, named by former Ferrona Yard trainman (and  later Conrail
VP-Transportation) Gary Speigel.

The Y&A still maintains an enginehouse at Austintown (TOWN not
BURG---Austinburg was on the PY&A south of Ashtabula).  I believe that  the Ohio Central's
Y&A operation has some activity in the way of a food  warehouse or some
warehouse and believe that the former Mahoning Valley SW-1 #  466 is assigned to
that operation.  Admitting that I have not been in that  area in a few months,
things may have changed.

Niles and Lisbon Branch---agree that the OC could have made that  work.  Ohio
Edison's (or First Energy or whatever they are called this  year) Niles Steam
Station is again receiving coal by rail from CSX.   Believe that W&LE has
some type of rights on this move.  The Austintown  Industrial Park survives and
the Mahoning Valley Sanitary District still  has a need for chlorine.  There is
about 0.9 Mi of the former EL  N&L Branch in service at Leetonia.  It's known
as NS's Erie North  track and used mainly for M of W equipment and work
trains.

SMT
http://www.aol.com.