(erielack) Re: Youngstown

Todd,

I think the reference in the song to "Jenny" has to do with the last
blast  furnace torn down in Youngstown. It was named after the daughter of a
steel  company official, whose name was Jenny. There are no longer ANY blast furnaces in Youngstown. Good news - the air in Youngstown is 25% cleaner. That doesn't make me feel much better.

Rick Fleischer

  Rick (and list)
     I did a little research and you are correct, Bruce "Is" singing to the Jeannette blast furnace! This expert is from the book "Steeltown U.S.A" Work and Memory in Youngstown.
   When "the Jenny" was shut down in 1978, 50,000 Youngstown workers lost their jobs, cutting the heart out of the local economy. Even as the community organized a nationally recognized effort to save the mills, the city was rocked by economic devastation, runaway crime, and mob scandal, problems that persist twenty-five years later. In the midst of these struggles "the Jenny" remained standing as a proud symbol of the community's glory days, still a dominant force in the construction of both individual and collective identities in Youngstown.

  I found no information on what railroads served "The Jenny".

  Todd ~