RE: (erielack) ERIE steam - K5s - eBay

*snipped*

> It's modeler's choice.  Not working in HO, I don't know if
> any of the Max Gray brass imports of years ago ever show up
> on eBay.  If one were to appear, I would stalk it very
> cautiously:  the interest might be quite high, but the reward
> might be worth it.
>
> Randy Brown

They do, with some regularity.  Probably about four or five times per year.  You have to know what
you're looking at, as by now the boxes have mostly disappeared, and without that, the
widows/thieves/"friends" don't know what they have.  In general, it seems to me that they go for
~$300-350 for naked ones that need some repairs, to maybe $650-700 for cherry painted pieces.  The
painted one I have nailed me for $500 (I'd just gotten a tax return . . .), and is a magnificent
model.  I got one on eBay about a year ago (the one that's in pieces) for about $140, because the
seller didn't know what he was selling, and didn't mention "ERIE" in the title or the write-up, and
also fairly seriously misrepresented the condition, leading me to insist on some "reparations."  I
had paid more, but the model arrived with a house-brush, nicked and worn paint job that could NOT be
considered "professional" and also, since the drivers were worn down to the brass, it could not be
considered "almost mint."

As with a lot of things on eBay, lurk in the shadows, and pounce on the good deals.

SGL