Re: (erielack) Youngstown (2)

In a message dated 2/23/2007 11:22:09 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
century430_@_hotmail.com writes:

Call  me a dreamer, but I've often wondered about a partial "West End
Revival" of  sorts. With the growth of WNYP and the fact that the Meadville Line is
now a  through route, if, and only if, WNYP were ever successful in leasing the
 remainder of the MEadville Line, as I sort of recall hearing about a ways
back, would it be that far-fetched to rebuild from Pymatuning to Latimer, a
distance of about 10 miles? My reasoning for this is, to my knowledge, the EL
is intact from Latimer all the way through to just about Akron. Would it be
possible to operate the line from Akron to Hornell as a through route? I know
portions of the old Freedom Secondary are out of service and the Akron end
hasn't seen a train in about 20 years, but look at other revivals. CSXT would
have a second alternative to the east when the Chicago Line or River Line gets
to capacity or there is a derailment.

Just thinking out loud but would  a scenario like this ever be viable?

Jim,

That's a neat thought, but I don't see big business (RR's) allowing such a
thing. The last thing they want is competition. I once heard that the P&LE
(when it was still in business) wanted to take the EL's Cleveland line. CR put
at stop to that in a hurry and tore out the line. Big business is ok with
shortlines feeding them a little bit of traffic, but they sure don't want direct
competition. It's questionable if there would even be enough business to make
such an operation viable. Manufacturers would rather move their business to
the  cheapest labor market - say China - than to make anything here to be able
to  support such a rail business.

Rick Fleischer
http://www.aol.com.