Re:RE: (erielack) Erie steam locomotives

To the extent that any of these has the original USRA trailing truck, they would be the most accurate approach.  If any have the cast Commonwealth "delta" trailing, careful detailing could produce a K5a before modification.  If all have the cast truck, then all are K5as.

Randy Brown
Erie K5s have been done in brass, in order, by:

Max Gray - USRA Heavy Pacific -  full set of Box Pok drivers, large tender  I think they may have done a "normal" version, but I'm not certain.

Akane - USRA Heavy Pacific - several runs, all spoked drivers, standard USRA tender

Key - USRA Heavy Pacific, three versions
A) as built - USRA tender
B) 1941 (one Box Pok driver, main - USRA tender
C) 1950 (full set of Box Pok drivers. - large tender

There are no K5A versions, because no one's modeled the cast frame for the valve gear.

Rick's right about the Riv/AHM model; a lot of work can get you a so-so model.

The Max Gray was also done in O scale.

SGL