(erielack) ERIE steam - K5s

The 20 Erie's K5s were the only heavy USRA 4-6-2s built, yet the design was so sound that Erie's 10 copies (K5a) were only some of the copies built, i.e.: the WofA/A&WP pair.  An accurate model of any of those copies would be a good start for a kitbash -- after a thorough dimension check and a long, thoughful look at the potential result vs. what the modeller really wants.

Erie's K5/K5a locomotives were "burly".  In very simplistic terms, the USRA heavy was a USRA light 4-6-2 boiler with a USRA heavy 2-8-2 firebox, on a slighly extended frame and with slightly bigger cylinders.  They were "hippier" around the firebox and noticeably larger going into the cab than the light Pacific, yet leaner than the heavy Mikado in the front end, because of the smaller smokebox.  The change in firebox also changed the dome proportions.

To a steam fan, the differences are more apparent than those between an EMD F3 and an F7.

It's modeller's choice.  Not working in HO, I don't know if any of the Max Gray brass imports of years ago ever show up on eBay.  If one were to appear, I would stalk it very cautiously:  the interest might be quite high, but the reward might be worth it.

If anyone really wants to know, I could extract and post the relative pertinent dimensions among any of the USRA designs.

Randy Brown