(erielack) K5 HO Erie steam locomotives

In a message dated 2/22/2007 3:19:54 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
bruceipe_@_gmail.com writes:

Does  anyone make a K-5 in Ho

Yes and no.
Or would it be better to say "it depends."
I recall some K5As were imported brass a "few" years ago.  Also, a
Rivarossi/AHM heavy URSA Pacific can be re-arranged for an  acceptable K5 and K5A model
(there are at least two articles to do so, and I  recall Tony Horn did one in
Erie Railfan, a few years ago).

What is available or comings soon?
The Erie K5 was an URSA Heavy Pacific, and according to  Westling and
Stauffer in ERIE POWER (p300, 1970), Erie obtained 10 of these from  Baldwin
(2915-2924 and 10 from ALCo (Richmond) #2925-2934 in 1919. They were  delivered with
two 2-axle truck rectangular tenders of 10,000 gallons of water  and 10-ton
coal capacity (which was soon increased on many units)--and had US on  the side
(pictured on p 304).

 BLI has listed an Erie in their URSA light Pacific line  that will be
available in the near future. The light Pacific is a bit smaller in  diameter and
height according to ERIE POWER, and I suspect that is why BLI is  doing Erie
this way. Erie Power does list that the Erie K5 boiler tapered to  79-inches at
the rear of the first course, a half-inch more than the Pennsy K4,  and
90-inches at the dome course, an inch larger than a Pennsy K4. Now if BLI  only used
the Pennsy K4 boiler, but probably not.

At any rate, BLI appears to be the next on the market with  something close
to an Erie K5 (1064 USRA Lt. Pacific,  Powerhouse, ERIE, #2922, Sound/DC/DCC,
HO, SMRP 239.99, expected Jan  2008)
The number listed would be one of the first Baldwins, and if  they do as in
the past, it would be "as delivered," and in need of an Elesco  feedwater
heater for much of my running. Sister 2924  (1917) and 2919 (p304-305) year 1927,
appear in Erie Power.
I have no listings of images of #2922 in any of my books.

Howard Haines
Howard Haines
http://www.aol.com.