RE: (erielack) Youngstown

> How badly butchered is the ex-EL in Youngstown? I was there
> once about 7 years ago and didn't have much time to truly
> explore. I know the EL main through YOungstown was severed in
> 85, or thereabouts by CR. Why was that? What parts of the
> main, or YOungstown Bypass, are still in service/in
> existence. I know OHCR operates out of Brier Hill, but to where?
>
> Jim Rowland

I'll give you my "ignorant Easterner" answer :) from what I saw...

The EL from Youngstown up towards Sharon is still there, either owned by
NS or CSX (can't remember who). We ate lunch one day at nearby Hubbard,
and the line through there appears to be well-kept. The EL yard at
Sharon is still there, operated by NS, though the town has seen much
better days (most big industries are closed - Sharon Steel,
Westinghouse).

Back to Youngstown, OHCR does operate out of Brier Hill, though it's
abandoned in one direction and they were using it for car storage. There
appears to be quite a bit of local business in the other direction. The
OHCR EL-inspired colors sure look nice!