RE: (erielack) Snow-fighting on the RR's

Rich Onorevole wrote:

>    There has been a lot of talk on many of the lists
> regarding the snow-fighting efforts of "then" compared to
> "now". On the D&H list a lot of banter went back and forth
> about how the RR's seemed to have a better handle on these
> things in the "old" days. Gordy Smith, their senior
> dispatcher came on with his opinion on why this is so. He
> noted that "years ago, signal maintainers were not under the
> hours of service laws, and could be counted on to be out
> there 'round the clock keeping switches cleared, etc. And
> there were lots of them; same with the track department, you
> had gangs every 20 miles or so.
> When there was a storm like this (Feb 15), they were also
> out. And we had lots more yards then, and hundreds of more
> employees. Today we only have two terminals on this RR (
> Saratoga and Binghamton) for the road crews." He then
> detailed how the road crews now live out of the area and when
> the highways close, it makes sense to shut down the railroad
> because it precludes anyone from making it into work. He
> laments the demise of any real snow-fighting equipment and
> stated that with the limited number of maintainers and M&W
> men left you can only work so long.
>
>    Interesting perspective from a man with a lot of experience.

Yes, very true! He hits on some very valid points there.

One point in particular IS the lack of snow-fighting equipment - who has
plows anymore? Flangers? Nowadays standard operating procedure is to
send a diesel back and forth during a snowstorm to keep snow
accumulation off the tracks. Who needs a plow? :(

I also think with global warming and resultant changing weather patterns
(hello, El Nino?), you're seeing a lot less "gigantic" snowstorms,
another reason for lack of snowfighting equipment. Sure, you'll get the
freak "big dump" every so often, but we don't see those mammoth
snowfalls you'd see 100 years ago.

I personally miss the snow. :(