Re: (erielack) Tutti Frutti Oh Rudy, Erie Style

Jim,

By fall 1973, UPS was using the Port Jervis ramp for New England trailers, so 2/NY-100 and CX-99 continued to use the former Erie route. Operation via Scranton was generally for detour moves. There may have been a brief period of operation via Scranton in 1973 between the changeover and beginning of ramping at Port.

Paul B

From: "JG at graytrainpix" <graytrainpix_@_hotmail.com>
Subject: (erielack) Tutti Frutti Oh Rudy, Erie Style

Rich Penissi's recent mention of NY Division Assistant Chief Train
Dispatcher Rudy Appeld brought back a memory, so I thought I'd share it.  It
was autumn, 1973 and I was back at NJIT in Newark, after my third summer
working as a tower operator on the EL. It was junior year, and I was taking
a required course in probability and statistics.  The instructor wanted us
to do a class project based on some real-world data, comparing two different
ways of doing things as to seek out a statistical trend (or not).  This was
a year or so after the EL started moving its high priority freights into and
out of Croxton over to the Scranton side.  The UPS trains, especially Second
NY-100, were flip-flopping between Scranton and Port Jervis at the time, and
seemed to me like a good subject for a statistical comparison study.   I
thought about approaching EL management to get access to a random sample of
Second 100's running times between BD Interlocking in Binghampton and either
HX Tower (if via PO) or DB Draw (if via SC).  Unfortunately, Bob Downing had
just left the NY Division Superintendent's position for higher post out in
Cleveland, and was replaced by Charlie Wogan.  I didn't know Downing, had
only met him once briefly while working SF Tower, but he had a reputation as
an open-minded, relatively progressive manager.  Wogan, by contrast, was
said to be more of a traditionalist; I ran the idea by some EL guys, and
they didn't think that Wogan would cooperate.