RE: (erielack) Erie, Lackawanna, and NKP 1881-83

WDB  says "or the NKP"s rollercoaster grades in NYS) and marvel at how
tolerant the market was of poorly engineered lines and the service they
produced."
I drove the Pennsylvania Turnpike last weekend, and it's hard to believe
that it was graded for a railroad.   It would have been expensive to run,
needing multiple helpers most of the way.
I spent about an hour Sunday morning, looking around Youngstown.  It's one
of those funny citys with apparently not many people in it, buildings that
look burned out; but also with an impressive center street.  I got a look
at the B&O Station Restaurant, a nice brick building, with a car port at
the front entrance like Madison's, and a small spot for Amtrak parking,
with Amtrak's phone number posted.  I took a look in Amtrak's folder, and
it doesn't go toYoungstown anymore.
Philip Martin