Re: (erielack) February Syracuse Branch History

At 07:58 PM 2/19/2007, Joshua wrote:
>Was looking through some notes and thought I'd share some stuff.  Most are
>from newspaper accounts of the day.
>etc., etc.,
>
>14, 1929            Broken axle derails train in Jamesville, subsequent
>fire, line closed for a day.
>
>etc., etc.,

These comments about various events on the Syracuse - Binghamton line
have jogged my memory and subsequent curiosity. From May 1969 to June
1970 I had a temporary contract assignment in Syracuse and commuted
back and forth to my home in New Jersey most weekends, especially
during 1969. I remember seeing a derailment which I believe was due
to a washout from heavy rains somewhere along the line, possibly near
Whitney Point. I think a couple of engines went into the water but I
can't be sure about that. This most likely happened sometime in 1969
but I not positive about that either. Would anyone know about this
event or remember it and possibly supply more info?

Thanks,
Joe K.